Monday, June 24, 2013

The Great Flood of 93' (cont.)

I thought I would update you on how the whole ordeal ended yesterday.  When I last left you, I was sitting on the couch, recently parted from sweet, Greek cleaners, and awaiting the plumber's solution.

While waiting the solution, I finally convinced myself to eat and attempt to vacate my mind of the atrocity occurring in the room.  Lucky for me, I had made my favorite soup the night before so I had on hand the absolute resetting meal for me:


Yes that happens to be my grandmother's chicken soup with homemade dumplings.  My favorite from the time I was two!

After the meal, it took just a few more hours time, a little too much sewage, the discussion of cutting through the wall, and awaiting necessary equipment before the blockage was solved.  Seemingly this would be the end of my story, but of course life isn't quite that simple.

Now I was tasked with getting ahold of Michael and Ben so that they could contact their rental agency. The room needed to be cleaned and most likely the carpet be ripped out. To the phone's I go again.  If you recall before I had issues with Michael's handset so I knew this round to use the living room phone. 

I press the on button and BEEEEP.  Hmmmm, that's weird.  Repeat.  BEEEEEP.  Einstein did say that insanity is repeating the same action with the expectation of different results.  I leapt across the soaked towels and tried Mike's phone. BEEEEP.  Well, this is a problem.  It's now around 3:15 in the afternoon and we need to get cleaners in immediately. 

Across the hall I go again to now ask to borrow a phone!  Luckily, he is quite a patient, helpful guy and didn't mind at all.  Dial Mike's cell.  Nothing.  Try again, straight to voicemail!  Here I am repeating my history of earlier, searching for his work number (clearly should have wrote it down) and bothering the poor reception again. 

Mike picks up.  SCORE!  Now, I have Ben's number since he needs to call the agency.  Try his cell.  Straight to voicemail.  This is not good. Luckily, I ignored Einstein's advice and try again.  I get through and leave a voicemail.  I go to leave when the phone rings and it's Ben!  Eureka!!!!

Now he is calling the agency and I'm headed back to the apartment relieved.  I sit down and breathe a sigh of relief, feeling quite proud of myself when knock, knock, knock.  Someone is on the phone for me again.  I jog across the hall and talk to the cleaners heading over for a few.  As I stand to leave, the phone rings again...it's Ben of course.  (This is now the 3rd phone call for me at a friend's apartment!)  I update him on the status and give him the needed info for the agent on the plumbers and finally return to the apartment. 

Ding Ding Ding...my Skype is ringing.  It's Michael.  I've missed 3 calls since I was across the hall.  I update him, gain instructions on how to let someone into the building (I had no clue nor would I have figured it out!), and relax to await the cleaners.

30 minutes later, they arrived to discover that sewage was involved which wasn't conveyed to probably because their information was about 4 steps removed from the situation.  Luckily they were prepared and sweet as can be.  I swear every person that came to the apartment was as nice as can be!

Before I knew it, they had sanitized everything and gave me their recommendation to have the carpet replaced.  Off they went and I could await the arrival of Mike and Ben. 

Mike insisted that I get out of the apartment for a bit after a shower in Ben's room (I still couldn't quite face the other one yet).  The guys were quite sweet and took me downtown to dinner.  We had a fun, delicious meal at a Japanese restaurant near Chinatown.  I will post a quick blurb on "The Never-Ending Post."

Well there it is.  I arrived this evening to find the carpet has been removed so that's good eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment