Friday, June 10, 2011

All for a little English

Buenos dias.  One thing I don't care to admit is that I can be a bit of perfectionist in that I don't like doing things halfway and I'm not a fan of jumping in or making mistakes.  Needless to say it makes speaking a new language a bit of a challenge for me because attempting and being clueless are not things like.  Even as a small child, I was determined to get it right the first time. Most babies will babble and form sounds leading to words and eventually form sentences.  I babbled some and made noises to the point that my parents started  questioning if I would ever talk.  Then I was speaking in full sentences.  It appears even then I was working out all those words in my head and refused to talk until I could do it successfully.  Maybe now you can see my own personal road block in speaking Spanish.

Yet, I am attempting...well a bit.  Yesterday I went to El Tren (a coffee shop I spotted walking one evening) for breakfast.  The waitress behind the bar asked me what I would like and I attempted to say orange juice in Spanish in which case she looked very confused.  Part of that would be because I couldn't remember if it was taranja or naranja seeing as one is in Catalan and the other Spanish.  Well she immediately found the other waiter who spoke English and that was the end of that interaction. I was grateful since I was starving and wanted food no matter how pitiful my attempt may look.  By the way the juice and croissant were still delicious.  On my return to the hotel, I passed a fruit stand.  In truth I had passed it on my way to el tren, but I did not know the word cherry in Spanish and could figure out a way I could communicate how many cherries I wanted.  To my pleasure, the seller had now posted price signs per kilo...bingo.  I could say "uno kilo" which I did happily and pointed to the cherries since I still didn't know the word.  The man obliged and then asked if that was it.  All I needed to say was "si" which is let's face it the first word you learn in Spainish...soooo very simple and for some reason it just disappeared.  Instead I gestured that was it and he understood and gave me my total.  All in all, I walked proudly away with my cherries feeling that I had just mastered the entire language. 

At this point, my brain was exhausted from all this heavy thinking so I wanted a little English.  Lucky for me I had discovered a list of top 10 places for tapas in Granada which included a restaurant opened by a couple from England.  If there was anywhere here I could speak English, it would be there.  Quickly I mapped it out and headed out on a new mission.  Naturally this place was not a few blocks away, but instead a 25 minute walk according to Google Maps.  I still felt a bit confident from my previous triumph so I decided to try a new street.  As I walked further and the sun started to warm me, I realized I wasn't sure if I was even on the right street and the neighborhood was bit questionable the more I walked.  Alright, time to turn around or regroup.  Of course, I didn't want to just walk all the way back and try another path...No.  Instead I just turned down another street looking hopelessly for a street sign. A few more circles and unease and searching on my map I saw the river.  Whew!  Back on track.  I headed down the right street and began the first true leg of this walk.  I walked and walked and walked, turned and walked some more.  Of course with each new turn the hill grew steeper and the sun brighter.  Beginning to sweat and growing more warm by each step, I finally arrived to Los Molinos...the street destination was on.  Now I should let you know that my resturant was number 5 at the top of the street.  Much to my displeasure, I read the first numbered building to discover I was at 67.  Nothing like another 62 buildings to pass to get a little English and food.  With each stride I started worrying, what if this place is closed or they aren't serving food or don't speak English anymore like all the staff are Spanish.  It is remarkable what hunger and heat and the unknown can do to your head. 

I'm sure you can imagine the pleasure and relief I experienced as I found the bright blue store front and open door at Casa Lopez Correa.  Even better, the bartender spoke English and the menu had both Spanish and English.  Upon the arrival of my coke, I felt pure success no matter the quality of food.  I could order in English and relax! 

Though my luck continued as I ate a truly spectacular homemade meal.  I began with a salad with fresh mozzarella, cumcumber, tomato, and avocado drizzled in olive oil and balsamic vinager.  I ate every bit aside from the tomatoes....still can't get into fresh tomatoes.

Following by a remarkable lasanga, one of the best I've ever experienced.  When offered desert, it was impossible to say no especially to tirmisu which arrived with a few cherries and a strawberry drizzled in chocolate syrup and my cafe con leche.  Ah, sweet victory tasted quite sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment